Thursday, April 25, 2013

A HOPEFUL DREAM

by Nazhra B. Musallam
Look at their smiles and realize that it's what we've been missing all along
"...Staying with the community people for almost a month made me realized that in spite of the adversity that we are experiencing  in the city, there are a lot more unfortunate people out there who are having more hard times than us, but it amazed me all the more that majority of the residents are contented with what they have thou some of them still wish for more. Somehow these people serve as an inspiration for me to continue with what I have started..."
INDEED not all dreams are elusive but it necessitates courage to initiate and a motivation to proceed.


A long time ago, I dared to daydream of seeing myself as a medical student in the hope that someday I will be a commendable physician practicing in our hometown.
Somehow that dream was paused  for some time and strangely enough it resumed thou in a not so perfect moment but in one way or another 
I felt that I was still blessed and  with a thought that I maybe meant to become one.

But I must confess, at my age and with my previous experiences I still find that being a student, especially a medical one, is  not always that easy.
There are times when I don’t get, not only enough sleep but with no sleep at all particularly before a scheduled examination.

Never the less, the realization that I am definitely in the medical school of Ateneo de Zamboanga University  is when I embarked on the rural transit bus and travelled more than eight hours to reach Barangay Denoman, a small barangay composed of  1,623 total population, in the Municipality of M.A.Roxas Zamboanga del Norte.

My first intention in going to the community is just to accomplish the requirements of the school, little did I know that when I reached the place, I gain a whole new perspective.
Staying with the community people for almost a month made me realized that in spite of the adversity that we are experiencing  in the city, there are a lot more unfortunate people out there who are having more hard times than us, but it amazed me all the more that majority of the residents are contented with what they have though some of them still wish for more.
Somehow these people serve as an inspiration for me to continue with what I have started.

Barangay Denoman may not be a place you can brag about but when you feel its nature’s wonder particularly the spectacular view from uphill, the fresh gush of the wind to breathe in, will release the tension and bring about tranquility in thyself. 

One will just simply realize that it’s what we have been missing all along.


Once again, I will dare to dream for Barangay Denoman - to be a place where the community people will be happy and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment