Friday, April 26, 2013

Le Dossier



Into Denoman: Psychedelics and Whatnots


by Elno Rae S. Estrada


"...it is not about what we can give them; it is about the determination that they can do something for themselves and for their community..."

Doc Elno, the Master of Ceremony in the Community Assemby, talks his
way to capture the heart and minds of  the  audience.

To be in a place wherein I was really tested up to the smallest anatomy of my body brought a transformation that even I myself could hardly envision. It was a challenge that I had to master; it was a challenge.

The Barangay of Denoman in the Municipality of Manuel A. Roxas, Zamboanga del Norte was a haven for me, amidst the nuisance of everyday life. 

The place was way too different from the environment that I grew in for the past 21 years. But it did not matter at all. Rather, it opened an opportunity for me to embrace and understand the community life. It was a realization that I was glad to have.

Although the community is somewhat progressing, there are still things that need help and changing. Like for example, misconceptions on health and their health-seeking behaviors that necessitate attention and proper enhancement of knowledge.

Their struggle with low income and their need for other sources of income are also some of the major concerns. Furthermore, the barangay has poor practices regarding solid waste management. But with correctly taught strategies and activities, I am 100% confident that they can do better with it.

After our second exposure, I can steadfastly say that the challenges we are going to face for the next three years will give me the extra push to do things that will make them grasp the whole idea of change, improvement, and sustainability.
However, they must first appreciate the potential that they have. After all, it is not about what we can give them; it is about the determination that they can do something for themselves and for their community.

No comments:

Post a Comment