Friday, November 1, 2013

Not the usual thing I see everyday..



by Joanne Vargas

In my 22 years of existence, the Zamboanga Siege was the first war that I experienced for almost a month unlike the Cabatangan Siege in 2001 that lasted a week or less. The war that happened here in my hometown is very memorable to me and I will never forget it as long as I live because it started on a Monday of September 9, 2013, the day of my 22nd birthday.



The once peaceful Zamboanga City was awakened with sounds of bombs and gunshots. 8am of that day, our PBL group was going to have our bedside duty at Zamboanga City Medical Center under Dr. Ulanghutan. Since that day was also my birthday I decided to wake up a little late because I am not a morning person, then I checked my cellphone for text messages. As I was scrolling my inbox, I received tons of messages from my friends and classmates about the happenings in Sta. Barbara and Sta. Catalina. I went down to open the TV and watch the news because I did not believe at the text messages, as I watched what was happening, that is when I realized that Zamboanga was under attacked by the MNLF. Eventhough war had begun in Zamboanga City, the sweetest thing that my parents did was to surprise me with a spongebob under the sea inspired birthday cake. That made my day, aside from the war that was happening.
More than 22 years of living in a military base, it has its own advantages and disadvantages because, yes, we are safe here and there are alot of soldiers who can protect us, but, the base is also the target of rebels which makes it dangerous for us. Also, you get used to the sounds of helicopters hovering above the houses, airplanes going to and from Manila to transfer soldiers, and men in uniform with guns which sometimes makes it hard to believe that there is a war.
During the conflict of the government and MNLF, I experienced my daddy almost always not around due to the conflict because he had to stay in his office to be in charge and lead his troops. Days turned to weeks, our trip to Denoman was cancelled and studying for cardio was the hardest thing to do because for the 1st time, I was more interested in the news than any other program in TV. I went to Manila to lessen the stress that I was experiencing and even in Manila, the war happening in Zamboanga was the topic of the town. As I watch the news, many people became homeless and some died due to mistaken identity and those who were in the battle field during those time. Our soldiers left their families and home to fight and risk their lives to help the Zamboangueños. Many became sick in the evacuation centers, luckly, there are still kind-hearted people who gave food and clothing to the soldiers and victims of the war. God is so good that even war has begun, he has sent good and kind hearted people who are willing to give a hand to help the people who are in need of assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment